Wahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss my sister and she hasn’t even left yet.

I live on the East Coast. She is smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, only a few days away from trekking her way to Oregon. There she will be in a different time zone, in a different environment, with different people. And though we are now in different time zones, in different environments, and with different people, we are still connected. Very much so. And I’m scared that her move will abort that connection. And that fear is making me burst out in tears at random moments in the day. Which is very inconvenient. Especially if I am wearing mascara.

My sister is awesome. I admire her, in one way, because her being is embodied by adventure. Whether it was deciding at 17 to join the Army against my parent’s strong protests, or running for a student body position at college where she virtually knew no one, or giving up a cushy job to work for a dot com for peanuts, or living in Thailand in a hut and taking up Muay Thai, or constantly working against the grain of societal norms, assumptions, and rules, I am in awe of the things she does. My sister is the queen undertaker of the unconventional. Her bravery challenges me.

She is also intuitive and smart. When I am running the gamut of bubbling emotions, my sister is my calming equilibrium. She is refreshingly adept at guiding me toward a change of perspective, a new way of thinking, to get me through whatever I need getting through.

And even though we have lived in different states for the last three years and have been distanced by countries at times, I feel her move to Oregon means she is pulling herself further away from me. Though, deep down, I know this is not true. I believe in my sister and want the best for her. But the selfish part of me is screaming out for her to move to NJ and stay with me. I want to put her in my pocket and keep her with me forever. But that is just dumb.

You know what? I’m just gonna miss her. And deep down inside, all this fear and missing and thinking and sadness is just fluff on top of the real issue. I just don’t want Viv to forget me. Ever.

2 comments:

Vivien July 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

Hey, at least i am a lot closer to you now then in a jungle somewhere in Thailand. :) I think it's YOU who is going to forgot me. Your fabulous career, your boyfriend, your friends, your hobbies, family in NJ! I hope you don't forget me! Wahhhhhhhh!!!

Well, thank you for the compliments. You are too kind. I am so thankful to have a sister like you. Beautiful, funny, energetic, dynamic, talented, down to earth, sensible yet dramatic, surprising. You have lifted me out of the murky waters of life many many times with your words, encouragement, and with your patience of a saint. For that, I am eternally grateful. It has been a pleasure to be your sister. I think you are my soul mate. :)

So, hey, you want to go out for some Starbucks? I'll take 2 French vanilla skinny lattes :) xoxoxoxo

Anonymous August 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM  

What about your other sister...do you ever want to stick me in your pocket...I feel rejected. I am going to miss Viv sooooooo much. She is amazing. I was actually thinking about Oregon and what is the state flower?